by Kiersten Clements
Many students find themselves with spare time on their hands during the summer break. Teachers may also have more time for reviewing new activities and ideas for lessons. With this in mind, I thought I’d share with you my top 10 engineering websites for teachers and students:
10. Engineering.com Videos on this website feature a variety of shows including This Week In Engineering, Learning Series, Product Design Show, and Engineering GPS.
9. Manufacturing is Cool This award-winning website is just plain fun. My favorite sections are Fabricating Fashions and Snacking Solutions.
8. Design Squad Join Design Squad, pick a project, and share your sketches and prototypes. Or just spend hours reviewing pages of the most popular projects.
7. Engineering Your Future I like the content for students and their parents on the Career Track page.
6. Engineer Your Life This is a fun guide to engineering for high school girls. If you need some motivation to pursue engineering, read the interviews on the Meet Inspiring Women page. These women have incredible jobs.
5. EngineerGirl! Among other interesting features, this website identifies the different types of engineers that work in various fields. For instance, if you’re interested in agriculture, consider bioengineering, chemical engineering or environmental engineering.
4. Try Engineering With dozens of engineering lesson plans, this website is a great resource for teachers. The site also offers a number of features for students.
3. National Engineers Week Foundation This is an extremely helpful resource for engineering professionals and organizations doing education outreach. Looking for fun engineering activities? Visit the Activities Archive under Discover E/K-12?
2. Engineering, Go For It! Click on Engineer Your Path and you’ll find advice from current engineering students, tips for getting into engineering programs, and more.
1. Discover Engineering My favorite features on this website are the thorough Career Profiles, the Video Activities, and anything under the Cool Stuff category.
I’m sure there are many other valuable websites that I’m simply unaware of. Let me know what’s missing from this list.